Monday, November 22, 2010

Coaches: Do you explain well enough?

I ask myself this question a lot. As a coach and private instructor I believe part of my appeal with my students and their families is that I can take some of the concepts of baseball and make it simple to understand. I don't think it has ever been a gift but something I have learned over time, and many mistakes.

My coach would always tell me "Victor...you have to stay inside the ball" daily, hourly, minutely, and every second. My swing was not going anywhere but down hill, and so was my run production and average. Day after day the same thing, till I found my way to the bench series, and after the last game I asked coach as I did every day "what do you mean, because I am doing what you are saying, I am staying inside the ball" his answer was simple and sweet "no you are not, and the bench is where you will be if you don't fix it" did I mention that my coach was a verbal coach, he never explained much visually. Out of frustration I asked him to demo what he meant and sure enough I saw the error of my ways and the error of his. His demo made it clear what he wanted and what I was not doing, but it was a long two weeks getting there for the both of us.

We have all been there...on the job, in the house with your child or loved one, and as a coach on the field. We forget and give out instruction as we would do it or as we would play. Coaches have to seek simplicity and remember that all players are different and have varying degrees of knowledge. Its our job to explain so they can absorb it best. It takes an all angled assault to explain what to do in this game, some kids are audible, most are visual and all do not ask many questions, so we must explain the game on their level to get the best results.

That player that just does not seem to "get it", might be able to if he got you.


                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment